Apr 22 2009
Some Western experts say, while Obama is kissing up to America’s enemies in the Middle East, Iran could produce its first nuke in 60 days with 7,000 centrifuges working 24/7.
DEBKAfile‘s military sources cite some Western intelligence and nuclear weapons experts as predicting that Iran could turn out nuclear weapons some time in the next 12 months.
Rather than translating the crisis into leverage for persuading Iran to abandon its nuclear objectives, the Obama administration has opened the door to dialogue with all the extremists of the Middle East, including Iran.
Iran, for its part, is accelerating its nuclear program, taking full advantage of the undercover communications with Washington which are aimed at gaining Tehran’s cooperation for the US war effort in Afghanistan and Pakistan. This estimate is based on Tehran’s announcement that 7,000 centrifuges are in operation to enrich uranium. If all those machines were to work at top speed day and night, seven days a week, they could produce enough weapons-grade uranium to build a bomb in 60 days, say some intelligence sources. According to American experts, given the current rate of the program’s development, Iran will be in a position to manufacture as many as 60 nuclear bombs and warheads in 12 to 18 months.
This judgment was confirmed by Israel’s military intelligence (AMAN) chief, on April 20, who reported that Iran is going all-out for enriched uranium from overseas to shorten the process.
Japanese sources recently reported that a North Korean vessel carrying an illegal cargo of uranium highly-enriched to 50-60 percent., dropped it off at an Iranian port for transport to a facility near Tehran earlier this year. DEBKA
H/T Debbie in Israel
Iran leader says “Even Iranian schoolkids are making nuclear devices in their homes!”
What will happen if Iran’s regime gets nuclear weapons?
1. A nuclear Iran will make it impossible for the West to protect its interests in the Middle East. All Western countries would be too intimidated to act in any way contrary to Iran’s desires out of concern that Iran would use nuclear weapons against itself, its troops, or others.
2. A nuclear Iran would intimidate all Arab regimes to appease Iran including, for example, rejecting Western basing rights or alliances. They might well believe that the United States is unlikely to go to nuclear war for them. Better get the best surrender terms from Tehran. This means forget about any Arab-Israeli peace. Arab cooperation with the West would plummet.
3. A nuclear Iran would lead to a huge upsurge in radical Islamist movements and their recruiting. With hundreds of thousands of Muslims joining such groups, the existence of every Arab regime would be jeopardized; terrorism and regional instability would rise.
4. Large numbers of Muslims living in the West would also join radical Islamist groups believing the day of victory is at hand and that Iran has shown the way. Terrorism and other violence and instability would rise throughout the West.
4. The price of oil, given understandable belief by consumers that the region will be more unstable will climb even higher than it is now. In addition, the tremendous power that Iran–a price hawk–would have ensures it will push up the price and the Saudis would be too intimidated to try to push it down.
5. A nuclear arms race would be triggered in the region which would greatly increase the likelihood of a nuclear war between two or more Middle East countries as well as such weapons getting into the hands of terrorists. RUBIN REPORTS
RELATED VIDEOS: EnemyWithin-foreign