The OBAMA REGIME will gut our National Defense to fund his Entitlement/Welfare programs

Defense Secretary Robert Gates ready to announce plan to shed one of 10 major military commands as part of his effort to strip billions from the Pentagon budget.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates plans to announce his intention to shed one of 10 major military commands as part of his effort to strip billions from the Pentagon budget, Fox News confirms. The plan to eliminate Joint Forces Command in Norfolk, Va., is sure to draw heavy criticism from Virginia lawmakers who opposed the idea weeks before Gates decided to make it official.
.
Gates also is expected to detail other efforts to reduce waste and duplication at an afternoon press conference, including a plan to cut the Pentagon’s use of outside contractors by 10 percent next year.
.
The Virginia-based command trains troops from different services to fight together. Joint Forces Command, with nearly 4,900 employees and annual salaries of more than $200 million, is the largest single cut to be announced Monday.
.
Six Virginia lawmakers issued a written statement opposing the cut last month after a board of advisers first proposed the idea. The lawmakers, including Democratic Sens. Jim Webb and Mark Warner, called the proposal a “step backward” and potentially “harmful” to military capability.
.
“It is illogical … to recommend that we undo what our nation has worked so hard to achieve in military jointness over the past two decades,” they said. Gates is not expected to say how much money will be saved by shutting down the command, which holds more than 1 million square feet of real estate in Suffolk, Va., and Norfolk, Va.
.
The Pentagon has already announced a target of cutting $100 billion over five years. And earlier this year Gates ordered a top-to-bottom paring of the military bureaucracy in search of at least $10 billion in annual savings needed to prevent a total erosion of U.S. combat power.
.
Big cuts are essential considering the recession and the likelihood that Congress no longer will give the Pentagon the sizable budget increases it has enjoyed since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Gates and other defense leaders have said. “The gusher has been turned off and will stay off for a good period of time,” Gates said in May.

JFCOM  command is headed by a four-star military officer, the highest grade currently in use. Marine Gen. James Mattis was its commander until named last month to replace Army Gen. David Petraeus as head of U.S. Central Command. His replacement will be Gen. Ray Odierno, now the war commander in Iraq. Odierno’s job will be to eliminate his own office, officials said.
.
Warner, Virginia’s junior senator and the state’s former governor, said he saw “no rational basis” for dismantling Joint Forces Command because its mission was to impose “greater cooperation and savings among the military services.”. “One thing I learned in the business world is you sometimes have to spend money to save money,” Warner said. “It’s a no-brainer that JFCOM is one of the commands that could use more resources.”
The plan Gates will outline is similar to one suggested last month by the Defense Business Board, a panel of company executives who advise the Pentagon. The board said Gates should cut the number of civilian employees by at least 15 percent. The panel also identified Joint Forces Command as contributing to much of the contractor bloat because it had more contractors than government employees on its payroll. FOX NEWS
.
RELATED STORIES:
.