UK: Muslim husband stabs his wife of 37 years 120 times and walks free!

A Pakistani Muslim killer declared insane after stabbing his wife to death less than a year ago walked free after a court heard he has recovered.

Daily Mail (H/T Martin)  Farrukh Malik knifed Sarwat, his partner of 37 years, more than 120 times during the frenzied attack at their north London home after suffering ‘depressive psychosis’ following the death of his mother. But the 66-year-old accountant, who is now living with his brother in Slough, Berkshire, was set free after a judge ruled he had no power to detain him because of medical reports which state he is no longer a danger.

The fears of one psychiatrist, who warned his condition could deteriorate again, were set aside after two other doctors said he was a low risk.

Setting him free, Judge Gerald Gordon stressed the order was ‘not a punishment’. Malik a father-of-two, must continue with medical treatment for the next two years. ‘There is only one reason for making these requirements, and it’s to ensure that you do not become unwell again,’ he said. ‘There is no legal basis that would enable me to make a hospital order.

Referring to the dissenting psychiatrist, he added: ‘Clearly one has to be very careful when a doctor raises such concerns, but it is still outweighed by the evidence seen in the court.’ Pakistan-born Malik, who admitted carrying out the killing, was unanimously cleared of murder by reason of insanity following a two-day trial at the Old Bailey last December. Prosecutors did not challenge the defence.

Malik was in Pakistan in February when his mother died, the court heard. On the morning of June 20, Sarwat, 60, and daughter-in-law Sara, 23, were with him in the kitchen of the family home in Finchley.

At his trial last December, prosecutor Philip Bennetts QC said: ‘Sara saw the defendant pick up a vegetable knife.’ Grabbing his wife he brought the six-inch blade up to her throat and began slashing frantically. Sara moved to intervene but then turned and ran after the killer pointed the knife at her.

While in police custody later that day, he told a doctor: ‘I think I tried to kill her.’ ‘Whilst he appeared to appreciate that he had been found with a knife in his hand and that he had been arrested on suspicion of murder, he repeatedly said he did not know what had happened or why it happened.’ A pathologist later found around 120 stab wounds to his victim’s body, including five ‘extensive’ injuries to her neck.