Sep 17 2012
MP George Christensen says the small child who held up a sign which read “Behead all those who insult the prophet” during weekend protests should be removed from his parents and placed in a better environment.
The Age The Queensland MP said that authorities should track down the parents of the child “immediately” – as they would when another child was exposed to “such a violent upbringing”.
(And the adults who were holding the same signs should be deported)
NSW Family and Community Services Minister Pru Goward said that the Department of Community Services was still looking for the identity of the child and the family.
In a widely circulated photo of the weekend’s violent protests, the child – who appears to be about three or four – is holding the sign above his head. A woman is taking a photo of the child, who is standing next to a baby in a pram. “Using a toddler to peddle an incitement to violent killing is disgusting and I think the Australian public would expect the authorities to take up the matter with the parents,” Mr Christensen said in a statement. “If the parents are exposing their children to religious hatred and encouraging violence then perhaps those children should be put in the care of better people.” Mr Christensen said that authorities should also track down the parents of eight-year-old Ruqya, who talked of her love of jihad at the Hizb ut-Tahrir conference in Sydney on the weekend. “Kids of this age should be playing hide and seek, not calling for jihad or beheadings,” he said.
Earlier today Liberal Senator Cory Bernardi said the violent protest in Sydney should serve as a “wake-up call” to people who are in denial about a significant problem emerging in Australia. The protest was a “portent” of what he had been warning people about for years.
“What occurred in western Europe a decade ago is now happening here,” Senator Bernardi said in a post on his blog today. “The naive cling to the romantic idealisation of the generations of migrants who have successfully settled in Australia, thinking things will continue just as they have in the past.” Senator Bernardi argued that even though multiculturalism was seen as a “triumph of tolerance” it undermined national values and cohesiveness.
“Our culture is built upon the two great pillars of Western civilisation – the rule of law and Judeo-Christian values. To allow these great strengths to be undermined by supporting calls for any form of legal plurality or the indulgence of cultural practices that go against our social norms is to abandon reason.”
The Sydney protest followed other protests around the world, sparked by the film Innocence of Muslims, which was produced in the United States and portrays the prophet Muhammad as a fraud, womaniser, homosexual and madman.
Speaking of the violence that has been condemned by most Muslim leaders in Australia, Senator Bernardi said: “It should serve as a wake-up call to the naïve and just plain foolish who are in denial that a significant problem is emerging in Australia.”
Minister for Multicultural Affairs Kate Lundy described the blog post as “divisive and extremist” and called on Opposition Leader Tony Abbott to clarify if he supported Senator Bernadi’s views.
“Time and time again, Mr Abbott has failed to publicly admonish or demote Senator Bernardi for seeking to incite division and vilify Australians,” Senator Lundy said. “Inaction from Mr Abbott would signal that he sanctions the recycled One Nation policies being peddled by
extremists patriots in his own party room.”
Senator Carr added that the clashes outside the US consulate in Sydney’s CBD on Saturday had undoubtedly sparked debate and soul-searching about the different faces of multiculturalism in Australia. “The talk of beheading, for example, is the talk of people who will never be comfortable with the Australian democratic tradition.”
Mr Christensen also said that the Sydney protests should not be tolerated, adding non-citizens who engaged in violent acts should “head back” to where they came from. Read More