Jan 31 2013
Judge in the Ft. Hood Muslim Jihadist case rejects Defense appeal to take death penalty off the table
A military judge at Fort Hood, in central Texas, has rejected a request to disallow the death penalty in the case of Major Nidal Hasan, who is accused of murdering 13 people (14 if you count the unborn baby of the pregnant female soldier killed) and attempting to murder 32 others in an Islamic Jihadist attack at Ft. Hood in 2009.
(How about stopping payment of this Muslim terrorist officer’s salary that he has been collecting since the massacre?)
VOA NEWS The judge is still considering a number of other defense requests that could have a profound impact on the case. The presiding judge in the case against Major Nidal Hasan, Colonel Tara Osborn, ruled Wednesday that the death penalty will still apply, rejecting a request by defense lawyers that seemed aimed at a plea bargain.
In a separate request, Hasan’s lawyers asked for consideration of a guilty plea, but the judge may not be able to grant that since the military code does not allow a guilty plea in a case in which the death penalty could be imposed. Geoffrey Corn, a former military prosecutor and law professor at South Texas College of Law in Houston, says “Judge Osborn will carefully review all defense requests in spite of public frustration over the length of the process.”
“There is no such thing as an open-and-shut capital murder case, especially in the military,” said Corn. “The process, the rights of the accused, have to be scrupulously protected and honored, and there is no way that a case like this is going to be fast.”Any attempt to bypass defense requests could open the way to appeals, which could take years to resolve.
Witnesses say Hasan opened fire on soldiers who were about to be deployed to Afghanistan at a Fort Hood facility on November 5, 2009. Fort Hood civilian police shot him four times, leaving him paralyzed below the waist. (That’s why the military should take care of security on an Army base in the U.S., NOT female civilian police. A soldier shooting this Muslim terrorist would not have left him alive)
Hasan’s lawyers are also asking the military to pay for a media specialist to help the defense show that news media coverage has prejudiced the case. (How about MSNBC news anchor – Rachel Madcow?)
The case was held up last year over orders that Hasan shave off his beard, which he says is an expression of his Islamic faith. The military’s highest appeals court removed the judge who made that order after determining that he had shown bias. Judge Osborn has made only brief mention of the beard so far, telling the defense team to prepare a statement that can be issued to the jury to prevent any prejudice based on Hasan’s appearance.
Corn says an attempt by the judge or Fort Hood commander to enforce military grooming codes at this point would only open the way for Hasan to file an appeal based on federal statutes that protect religious freedom.