Jun 18 2013
A Saudi court sentenced a local man to death by beheading and ordered his crucifixion in the public sqare for two hours after he was convicted of raping and murdering a six-year-old boy.
Emirates The appeals court in the northern province of Jouf upheld a previous verdict against the 35-year-old Saudi, who confessed to the murder of the boy before burning his body.
Mohammed Salim Al Azmi was found dead with a charred body in an isolated area in the northern town of Qurayyat in April 2012 two days after he went missing. Police said his neighbour kidnapped the boy, raped him and then murdered him before setting him ablaze to get rid of the body.
In a similarly gruesome case last year, the Saudi Interior Ministry said Ahmed Al-Shamlani Al-Anzi was sentenced to death by beheading and then crucifixion, having his body displayed in public for a few hours for the kidnapping, raping and killing of an 11-year-old boy and for the killing of the boy’s father.
WWatch The sentence prompted a stiff denunciation by Amnesty International, and European based human rights monitors, which makes one wonder why these groups would be sympathizing with a murderous pedophile rather then his victims? The Saudi Interior Ministry asserted that Al-Anzi’s body was displayed as a warning that those involved in similar crimes would suffer the same fate.
The ministry said Al-Anzi kidnapped the boy and held him for a “malicious purpose” at a grocery store where he worked. He tied rope around the boy’s neck and strangled him to death, the ministry said.
When the boy’s father came to the store looking for his son, Al-Anzi axed the father repeatedly until the man died. When police came to arrest Al-Anzi, Al-Anzi resisted arrest by threatening them with a knife. Police later discovered that Al-Anzi had been previously convicted of other crimes, including possession of pornographic videos and sodomy, the Interior Ministry said.