NIGERIA: Boko Haram Muslim terrorists slaughter hundreds more in village being used by military to search for abducted schoolgirls

nigeria-boko-haram-attack-girls-abduction

Boko Haram launched a grisly attack on a Nigerian village in an area that troops had been using as a base in the search for hundreds of schoolgirls abducted by the Islamic terrorist group. The latest attack  targeted the town of Gamboru Ngala on the border with Cameroon, where gunmen earlier this week razed scores of buildings and fired on civilians as they fled.

CNN  The hourslong assault on Gamboru Ngala that left at least 300 people dead, some of whom were burned alive, is the latest in a series of brazen attacks and abductions by Boko Haram, raising concern about whether the Nigerian government can retake control of the region from the entrenched terror group.

Word of the attack follows news that President Goodluck Jonathan, who has been under fire for his handling of the mass abduction, accepted U.S., British and Chinese offers of assistance to find the schoolgirls, officials with those governments said.

Nigeria’s response to the kidnappings has been widely criticized, including by activists and parents of the hostages who say the military’s search operation has been inept so far.

1399484709000-nigeria050714-001

In a second kidnapping, another 11 girls aged 12 to 15 were seized on Sunday from Gwoza, an area not far from Chibok and also in Borno state, Boko Haram’s base.

Boko Haram’s five-year uprising has killed thousands across Africa’s most populous country, with many questioning whether Nigeria has the capacity to contain the violence.

The assault on the village came after military troops deployed to the area were called to the border area near Chad, where reports — later determined to be false — surfaced that the schoolgirls had been found with Boko Haram militants, witnesses and local officials said.

Share