Jan 26 2015
Mashregh News network affiliated with Iran’s Revolutionary Guards suggested Iran target Yair and Avner Netanyahu, the sons of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in response to an alleged Israeli strike on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights last week in which 12 Hezbollah and Iranian operatives were killed, including an Iranian general.
Times of Israel The article listed a number of ways Tehran could respond to the alleged assault, including a “revenge operation” involving the Netanyahu boys — who are shown in a photo on the website as if in the crosshairs of a sniper’s scope — Shaul Olmert, son of former PM Ehud Olmert and Gilad and Omri Sharon, the sons of the late prime minister Ariel Sharon.
Iran and Hezbollah have issued a series of threats since the strike earlier this week, warning of a “crushing response,” and “destructive thunderbolts.” The dead included an Iranian general and senior Hezbollah commanders, Muhammad Issa and Jihad Mughniyeh, son of slain terror mastermind Imad Mughniyeh.
There have been conflicting reports as to whether Israel knew that Iranian general Mohammed Allahdadi was in the convoy.
On Saturday, the deputy head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Lt.-Gen. Hossein Salami vowed Saturday to “open new fronts [against Israel] and change the balance of power.” “Opening up a new front across the West Bank, which is a major section of our dear Palestine, will be certainly on the agenda, and this is part of a new reality that will gradually emerge,” Salami said.
Israel viewed the strike as an act of self-defense, and that Hezbollah had forced Israel’s hand by building an offensive infrastructure on its border. A report on Friday said the strike targeted the leaders of a substantial new Hezbollah terror hierarchy that was set to attempt kidnappings, rocket attacks and other assaults on military and civilian targets in northern Israel.