KAAL-TVMultiple pools around southeastern Minnesota and northern Iowa have shut down due to health concerns.
An employee of Kasson Aquatic Park says they were contacted by the state health department, telling them the pool may be infected with cryptosporidium, known as crypto. The parasite can cause diarrhea.
They say the health department said the concerns may have originated at a pool in Owatonna.
Post BulletinRon Unger, director of parks and recreation in Kasson, said he received a call from the state heath department Wednesday afternoon that a person suspected of spreading cryptosporidium at a pool in Owatonna might have also spread the parasite in Kasson as well.
Cryptosporidium is a microscopic parasite that causes the diarrheal disease cryptosporidiosis, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“The state health department called us yesterday on a precautionary measure,” Unger said. “There’s a possibility someone who swam over in Owatonna came over to our pool and swam.”
The normal procedure after such a call is to increase the chlorine in the pool to 40 parts per million and hold it there for 12 hours, Unger said. Ben Boldt, recreation supervisor at Rochester parks and recreation, said he received a similar call Wednesday from the Olmsted County Health Department.
Meanwhile, the Mason City Aquatic Center was also shut down due to crypto concerns. The Mason City Parks and Recreation Department says they are super-chlorinating the pool, and are expected to open back up on Saturday.
ABC 6 News also learned Rochester’s Soldier’s Field pool was closed today. We were told a child had a virus and went swimming. No word yet if it was crypto, or if the incidents are related.
“Trisha Robinson, supervisor of the waterborne diseases unit at the state health department, said three pools were closed in southeast Minnesota, the pool in Kasson, Soldiers Field Pool in Rochester and River Springs Water Park in Owatonna. Individuals who swam in those pools were either later diagnosed with cryptosporidium diarrhea or were sick when swimming at those pools last week, she said.
“We have had a couple of fecal incidents this year where we have to super chlorinate,” Unger said. “Our main goal is to make sure everyone is safe.