An Egyptian Criminal Court has just sentenced 188 Muslim Brotherhood supporters to death for the attack on a police station which killed several police officers as well as many civilians in Cairo last year.
Barack Hussein Obama who has refused to designate the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organization (even after Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and the UAE did) is reportedly livid at the death sentences for his Muslim brothers.
Hindustan Times (h/t Mike F) An Egyptian court has sentenced 188 people to death for a violent attack on a police station in the restive town Giza after the ouster of president Mohamed Morsi last year and has kept the trail pending for the opinion of the country’s top religious authority.
The ruling which came on Tuesday found the defendants guilty of attacking the Kerdasa police station on August 14, 2013, the same day when Egyptian security forces dispersed two Muslim Brotherhood riots in Cairo and Giza, killing hundreds of people.
Police Chief Mohammed Abbas Gabr brutally tortured and slaughtered by Brotherhood militia in August 2013 at Kerdasa police station
They were also found guilty of the attempted murder of 10 other police personnel, sabotaging the police station, torching a number of police vehicles and possessing heavy firearms.
The ruling has been referred to Egypt’s Grand Mufti,a requirement in Egyptian law before any execution can be carried out. The decision is legally non-binding to the court.
A few of the many Egyptians killed in the streets by the Muslim Brotherhood
The court said that the sentences will be confirmed on January 24. Out of the 188, only 135 were present while the rest were tried in absentia. Defence lawyer Bahaa Abdel-Rahman told Ahram Online that among the defendants were two persons who died during the trial, but who weren’t dropped from the trial, along with a minor.
The ruling came days after an Egyptian court dropped charges against former president Hosni Mubarak, his minister of interior and six aides over killing unarmed protesters in the 2011 revolution. Since Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi’s ouster last year, the Egyptian government has been cracking down on the Muslim Brotherhood and its supporters.
In March, 529 Muslim Brotherhood members were sentenced to death for killing a police officer in last year. Morsi is currently in prison over charges of murdering peaceful protesters, espionage, escaping from prison during the January 25 Revolution in 2011 and insulting the judiciary.
Al-Sisi won 96.9% of the vote in May’s presidential election against sole competitor Hamdeen Sabahi. Morsi faces a series of charges leveled against him by Sisi’s administration and has denounced his trial at the hands of an Egyptian court which he has called illegitimate.
More death penalties may be passed as Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohammed Badie is facing execution after two separate trials.
Learn about the Muslim Brotherhood below:
An Egyptian court dismissed Saturday a murder charge against ousted president Hosni Mubarak over the deaths of protesters during a 2011 uprising that ended the former strongman’s decades-long rule. The court also acquitted Mubarak and a former oil minister of corruption charges related to gas exports to Israel.
Barack Hussein Obama reported to be upset at the verdict for the man he worked so hard to bring down and replace with his hand-picked Muslim Brotherhood pal, Mohamed Morsi, who was ousted by the Egyptian people after just one year.
Mubarak supporters were overjoyed at the verdict
Al-Akhbar (h/t Susan K) Judge Mahmoud Kamel al-Rashidi said that seven of Mubarak’s commanders including the feared former interior minister Habib al-Adly, were found “innocent” of the demonstrator deaths in 2011 About 800 people were killed during the 18-day uprising that unseated Mubarak, in which protesters clashed with police across the country and torched police stations. Mubarak was accused of having ordered the killing of protesters.
Cheers broke out in the courtroom and Mubarak’s two sons and co-defendants, Alaa and Gamal, stooped down to kiss his forehead when the judge read out the verdict, as the 86-year-old Mubarak lay in an upright stretcher inside the caged dock. The usually stone-faced Mubarak, wearing his trademark shades, allowed himself a faint smile.
Mohamed Morsi supporters not so much
Corruption charges were also dropped against Alaa and Gamal Mubarak, with Rashidi saying too much time had elapsed since the alleged crime took place for the court to rule on the matter. The ruling came after a dramatic retrial in which the former president defended his 30-year rule. An appeals court overturned an initial life sentence for Mubarak in 2012 on a technicality.
His lawyer Farid al-Deeb told AFP that Saturday’s verdict was “a good ruling that proved the integrity of Mubarak’s era.” Mubarak told the retrial in August that he was nearing the end of his life “with a good conscience”. “The Hosni Mubarak before you would never have ordered the killings of protesters,” he said.
Not everyone is happy about the verdict.
This video presents a compilation of responses on Egyptian TV channels by news and political commentators on the recent deadly attacks by Muslim Brotherhood-linked terrorist groups in the Sinai.
TV host Ahmad Musa said, on Sada Al-Balad TV: “I want to see the blood from executions in the dozens, in the hundreds… I want to see corpses. Corpses of terrorists, of murderers.” TV host Amr Adeeb said, on Al-Youm TV: “We will not rest until we finish off those sons of bitches and completely destroy the MUslim Brotherhood.”
A request to release detained hunger-striking Egyptian-American Mohamed Soltan due to his deteriorating health condition was rejected for the fourth time on Wednesday. Cairo Criminal court rejected the request filed by 12 rights groups, describing it as “a blatant intervention in judiciary work.” Soltan was arrested for his participation in anti-government riots with the Muslim Brotherhood.
ORIGINAL STORY: going-going-mohamed-soltan-the-egyptian-american-son-of-muslim-brotherhood-leader-salah-soltan-fell-into-a-coma-on-sunday-after-281-days-on-hunger-strike
Bleeding hearts protest at Egyptian Embassy in Washington. Notice Code Pinko’s Medea Benjamin at right in pink sweater
Ahram The rights groups included the freedoms committee of the Doctors Syndicate, Al-Nadeem Centre for Rehabilitation of Victims of Violence, The Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights (EIPR) and the Arab Network for Human Rights Information (ANHRI). Maha Mahmoud, who filed the request on their behalf, contested the court’s decisions saying it was not “a blatant intervention”, adding the request was based on medical reports on Soltan’s condition.
Not looking’ so good, Mohamed…Buh Bye!
Soltan, 26, is on trial with 50 others, including top Muslim Brotherhood leaders, in the case known as the “Rabaa control room”. The court adjourned the case on Wednesday to 16 November. Soltan has been on hunger-strike for over 280 days, causing several local and international rights groups, including Amnesty International, to voice deep concerns over his deteriorating medical condition.
Soltan’s family have launched a hunger strike in solidarity, calling on the Egyptian public to join them and also urging the US to help release him. (Good, hope they all starve to death)
Soltan and other defendants are accused of setting up an operations room during the Brotherhood-led Rabaa Al-Adaweya protest camp in July – August 2013, as part of plans to defy the state and spread chaos, as well as plot attacks on police stations, private property and churches.
His father, Saleh Soltan, a leading Muslim Brotherhood member, was rounded up by authorities in a crackdown on Morsi’s sympathizers.
Mohamed and his Muslim Brotherhood papa, Saleh Soltan