Aug 3 2009
Pope Benedict condemns ‘senseless attack’ (senseless?) by Muslims on innocent men, women, and children.
Pope Benedict XVI has condemned the ‘senseless attack’ in Pakistan in which seven Christians were burned alive. Hundreds of Muslims torched and looted Christian homes in Gorja. A man, a woman and four children were burned to death in their house, and two other men were shot dead by the rioters.
The killings began after false rumours that the Koran had been defaced spread through a city in Pakistan. Some 40 homes were burned down in total. Pope Benedict sent his condolences to Pakistani Christians and urged them to keep trying to build a society ‘marked by mutual respect’ among different religions. (HAH!) ‘The Holy Father was deeply grieved to learn of the senseless attack on the Christian community of Gojra city which resulted in the tragic killing of innocent men, women and children,’ the Vatican said in a telegram sent to a Catholic bishop in Pakistan.
‘There is no proof of blasphemy, but if someone has done that he, and not the entire community, should be punished.’ Shahbaz Bhatti, minister for minorities, said authorities were looking into reports that ‘masked men armed with explosives’ were at the forefront of the violence. ‘Allegations of desecration of the Holy Koran, which were used as an excuse by banned (Islamist) groups to foment such a big scale of violence, were baseless and without grounds,’ he told a news conference today. UK DAILY MAIL
I am posting this comment up here from a reader who used to live in Pakistan. I thought it important that more people see what she said.